£850-a-night escort mum who broke her newborn baby’s skull jailed


THE £850-a-night escort mum who broke her newborn baby’s skull and smashed it has been jailed.

Law student Elizabeth Wilkins, 23, faces years in jail when she is sentenced next month for leaving her son fighting for his life.

 Elizabeth Wilkins, 23, is guilty of seriously injuring her baby son in September 2016

SWNS:South West News Service

Elizabeth Wilkins, 23, is guilty of seriously injuring her baby son in September 2016

She fractured her baby’s skull and broke his ribs by squeezing and shaking him and banging his head against a hard surface in rage and frustration.

The child, only three months old at the time of the attacks two years ago, suffered permanent brain damage.

Former escort Wilkins, who sold sexual services, was attacked outside Plymouth Crown Court during lunch-break as she gave evidence.

A judge called the assault “outrageous”, but Wilkins carried on from the witness stand after lunch with no visible injury.

But the perpetrator Claire Moore, 33, has now been dragged before city magistrates where she admitted assaulting Wilkins by beating – the lowest type of assault.

Moore, of Plymouth, Devon, was fined £40, ordered to pay £30 victim surcharge and also give £50 compensation to Wilkins.

The exact nature of the assault is not known but it is understood the former University of Plymouth student was verbally abused and then manhandled on September 21.

Trial judge Peter Johnson told the jury shortly after the attack in the third week of the trial: “I am aware that at least one of you saw an incident at lunchtime, an appalling assault on Elizabeth Wilkins.

“I think all of you are now aware of this outrageous act committed I think by a woman in drink against someone in the middle of their evidence.”

He commended her barrister Piers Norsworthy for stepping in to help his client outside the court – an area popular with street-drinkers.

During the trial callous Wilkins tried to shift the blame on her former partner and co-defendant 30-year-old Erick Vanselow.

He was cleared of failing to protect their son – having earlier been acquitted of assault.

Judge Peter Johnson adjourned sentencing for psychiatric and probation reports. He granted her bail but banned her from contact with her son.

Now due to be sentenced on December 6, she was pictured SMILING as she left the court.

Wilkins denied assaulting her child causing grievous bodily harm with intent on September 22, 2016.

That was the day the boy’s head was smashed against a hard surface in the flat the parents once shared in Plymouth.

She also pleaded not guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm between August 31 and September 3 in 2016.

Her trial would have cost the taxpayer tens of thousands of pounds.

A jury unanimously found her guilty on both counts after seven hours of deliberations.

The exact events which ended in the boy, who cannot be named by court order, in hospital will never be known.

The jury found that Wilkins attacked her son several times, fracturing his ribs and then pointing the finger of suspicion at Mr Vanselow.

She finally banged his head against a heavy object while she was alone in the flat for 90 minutes on September 22, 2016.

Wilkins said nothing of what happened and the parents only took him to the GP – who immediately phoned for an ambulance.

The court heard suspicions were raised when Wilkins remained unusually calm and showed no emotion while her son, who can not be named for legal reasons, fought for life in hospital.

She told shocked nurses as he was having a drill inserted into his bone marrow that she didn’t mind watching it as she was a ‘fan of Holby City and had seen it on television’.

A serious case review is now underway to look at any medical failings which could have raised the alarm sooner.

Source link