Huawei charged with stealing T-mobile secrets and breaking Iran sanctions | Science & Tech News

0
39

Our HELLONEWS mobile app has been released. Please click here to download. Don't miss our current news!


Chinese technology giant Huawei has been charged in the US with stealing trade secrets from T-Mobile and violating sanctions against Iran.

The Justice Department unsealed two indictments against the telecommunications equipment manufacturer on Monday.

They including counts of bank fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and violations of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

Thirteen charges were filed in New York, and another 10 filed in Washington included an allegation that the company stole the designs for a robotic hand used by T-Mobile to test new smartphone devices.

A spokesperson for the company said it was “disappointed to learn of the charges brought against the company” and denied committing “any of the asserted violations”.

Huawei has become one of the world's leading smartphone manufacturers
Image:
Huawei is banned from selling its phones in the US

Huawei insisted it settled its IP theft dispute with T-Mobile in 2017 regarding the allegation over an experimental robotics technology known as Tappy.

It was designed to mimic human fingers and was used to test smartphones that were in production.

The indictment claims that Huawei then tried to obstruct justice when T-Mobile threatened to sue its foreign rival in a federal court in Seattle.

It also includes an internal Huawei announcement that the company offered bonuses to employees who successfully stole confidential information from other firms.

FBI director Christopher Wray said the allegations showed that the US must “consider carefully the risks that companies like Huawei pose if we allow them into our telecommunications infrastructure”.

The Chinese authorities have condemned the indictments, a Ministry of Industry and Information Technology spokesperson describing them as “unfair and immoral”.

On Tuesday China’s foreign ministry called on Washington to “stop the unreasonable crackdown” on Huawei and other companies.

A statement read on state TV news accused US authorities of mobilising state power smear some Chinese companies “in an attempt to strangle fair and just operations.”

It said there was a “strong political motivation and political manipulation” behind the indictments.

The charges, which relate to alleged conduct between 2012 and 2014, come almost two months after the chief financial officer of Huawei was arrested in Canada.

Meng Wanzhou was detained on 1 December and remains in Vancouver, fighting extradition south of the border over claims she committed fraud by misleading US banks about business deals Huawei has in Iran.

It is alleged that the firm used a shell company in Hong Kong – Skycom – to sell equipment in the Middle Eastern country, which would be a violation of US sanctions.

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry, Geng Shuang, accused Washington on Monday of showing “disregard for the stern representations” from Beijing over the case of the CFO.

“We urge the US to immediately withdraw the arrest warrant against Miss Meng Wanzhou and stop making such kinds of extradition requests,” Mr Geng added.

Meng Wanzhou is a long-serving executive at Huawei. Pic: Huawei
Image:
Meng Wanzhou is a long-serving executive at the company. Pic: Huawei

The charges add more pressure on Huawei, with the US government trying to prevent American companies and those based in allied countries from buying routers and other technologies it manufactures.

Last week, Vodafone said it had suspended the use of Huawei equipment in its core networks amid security concerns over claims the hardware could be used by Beijing for spying or to seize control of critical infrastructure.

The US, along with Australia and New Zealand, have already banned Huawei from their faster 5G networks because of alleged links to the Chinese regime, and Germany and India have also expressed concerns.

However, Donald Trump has said he would get involved in the Huawei case if it would help produce a trade agreement with China.

The US president said he would step in if it would be good for what will “certainly be the largest trade deal ever made”.

He added that talks were taking place with Beijing by phone and he would not raise tariffs on Chinese imports until he was sure about a deal.

Donald Trump has presided over the longest US government shutdown
Image:
Donald Trump has suggested he could intervene in the case

Despite being completely locked out of the US, Huawei surpassed Apple earlier last year to become the number two smartphone maker in the world – only behind Samsung.

It has been helped by securing an increased share of the UK market, with TechRadar reporting that its acclaimed P20 handset had contributed to a rise from 2.7% to 13.7% in the three months leading up to July 2018.



Our HELLONEWS mobile app has been released. Please click here to download. Don't miss our current news!

Source link